Monday, February 23, 2009

What a weekend!

All around, what a weekend! First things first, Friday AFTER work, Dr. PT (see last post) had angels fly out of his butt. It was a glorious day. THEN, I was headed home. I wasn't exactly sure what awaited me but Ryan indicated that dinner was covered/he was making dinner. OK, I knew I was either getting: a dinner out (very good), a turkey sandwich (not so good) or Wendy's (terrible). See, we had a deal when we got married - anything related to him cooking was out of bounds. He does all the dishes. OK, good deal. (What are the deals YOU made?) I pulled up to the house and it was NOT on fire, good sign. Ran into the kitchen and saw...Ryan....AND our friend, Ben. Ben is a professional chef and my kitchen smelled delicious. Suffice it to say, I DID get homemade dinner just made by someone else. The menu consisted of a delicious little snack of blue cheese, lavash crackers with an onion and garlic jam. I could have just had that and been happy. Ahi tuna that almost lit my kitchen on fire with some spices that were like mace (my eyes were watering) and a sauce that was sweet AND hot. It was perrrrfect. Some little baby zucchini on the side and a rice, mushroom, pistachio, side dish that was to die for. WE were responsible to finish off the creme brulee that was still in the oven. Anything involving fire, danger or a grill, Ryan is in. This is what was on my counter...




Ben gave Ryan specific instructions on how to 'burn the sugar' on top to finish off the creme brulee. The only time I've ever seen creme brulee made it was using a baby sized torch - NOT ONE YOU WORK ON YOUR CAR WITH. Ben had to relate everything to a car so that Ryan could understand the process. "Do you have a zester?" Ryan looked at Ben and said - "you gotta give me more than that?" Ben is such a good guy that he was able to make his way through my kitchen asking for all his kitchen tools in car terms! AND it worked, off without a hitch. See he can and WILL cook, it was great, a great surprise.

In workout news...

Swimming!!!
20 minute warm up
200 swim (on 3:15)
200 swim (on 3:15), 2 x 50 drill (on 1:05)
200 swim, 2 x 50 drill, 300 pull (on 4:45)
200 swim, 2 x 50 drill, 300 pull, 5 x 100 (on 1:45)
200 swim, 2 x 50 drill, 300 pull
200 swim , 2 x 50 drill
200 warm down
+Extra credit - I did some more because I just couldn't get enough (with warm up ended ~4000 yards)...This was not our super speedy set for the week but our endurance set. I really liked it. It gave plenty of rest. I know that's sick and wrong but it was gooood. WHY OH WHY can't I get rid of goggle eyes?!!? Seriously, I wear contacts so I have to have something that is fairly firm and doesn't leak, no Swedish goggles for me and the masks are just too big. This is just NOT a good look when you're going to work or going out afterwards. You look like you've been punched in the face!Ran three baby miles afterwards without incident. I'm on a roll. Except those baby miles are kicking my arse. It's hard once you've been away for a while - every muscle hurts.

18 comments:

Carly said...

What a nice surprise! The dinner sounded awesome. I am drooling a little. I am totally LMAO at the industrial size blow torch he used for the creme brulee.

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO! Now that is how you cook! Ok maybe it is . . since I really don't know how :P

TRI-james said...

I hear you - I love having to go to a meeting after a lunch swim smelling of chlorine and having raccoon eyes.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I am lucky enough not to get raccoon eyes after a swim.

Some deals we have... I cook & she does dishes, I wash the clothes & she folds and hangs them, and how many sporting events I drag her to must be equalled in musicals or plays.

IronBob (spawning?? at IMAZ 08) said...

Power tools and propane torches in the hands of real men... the way life was meant to be.

Deb said...

Haha, that's funny...I felt like I was punched in the face after my swim the other night...I wear goggles with no foam/padding so towards the end of the swim I was wondering if I was going to have a bruise there or something.

Wes said...

Goggle eyes are HAWT! :-) and I want to play with the torch thingee!!

MJ said...

I can't do the masks... and I like my goggles tight - therefore I have the same problem for about 20-30 minutes after swimming. Be happy that at least you don't get goggle strap lines on your head like I do though.... a great reason why you shouldn't shave your head (in case you needed one.)

Jo Lynn said...

Your eyes look fine to me. ;)
The deal my husband and I made 19 years ago when we moved in together is: he is NEVER to do laundry. He has kept his part of that deal, I am happy to say.

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

LMAO at the picture of Your Man with His Blow Torch in Hand (<--- That sounds kinda dirty ... in a nice way, don't it?)

I think one quick pass with that blow torch could tighten up the skin around your eyes real quick. How attached are you to having eyelashes and eyebrows?

Lana said...

OMG! And I thought I was doing good with Kobe Steaks!! How awesome to have a gourmet dinner right in your own kitchen.

Ugh, goggle eyes are the pitts. With all that swimming you're doing, you may have them permanently!

Tri-ing Fat Man said...

Are you kidding me!!! I had flashbacks of "Backdraft" or maybe you guys were shooting for a sequel!!!!

I sho love some creme brulee!

Ron said...

Yum Yum eatum up

Shannon said...

Wow, awesome!

BTW, I started wearing those big ol dorky goggles that don't give you the raccoon eye look. The only problem is they leak because they don't get enough suckage.

"suckage" now there is a joke here.....

Dave said...

Ok heres the deal...On Friday, I break out the grill and my wife doesn't have to cook. Usually steaks, or pork chops...vegitarians would probably have a tough time at our house ;-)

Runner Leana said...

Wow, that meal sounds delicious! I hear ya on the goggle eyes. Mine hang around for awhile and it seems like no one else has that problem. But...at least my goggles aren't leaking!

Chloe said...

YUM! That dinner sounds wonderful! The the best part? The fact that a freaking tourch was used! Pretty awesome :)

Nice goggle eyes. I rock the swedish - and I was kicked in the eye during a warmup at a meet when I was 14. So I was looking good with a black eye for a week. Sweet.

So. We have to wait until TOMORROW to see who gets kicked off the biggest loser! Ugh. Bob puts to much emotion into this. You switched trainers. So what. Get over it! I wonder if they had on biking shorts for the 24 hour trainer ride. I sure hope so. That would not be a good feeling.

Southbay Girl said...

OMG...can I come for dinner? It sounded so amazing and yummy!!! I need a man who will cook for me(or bring a chef home to cook for me!) Lucky you!!!

I can't believe you swam that much and so fast...Damn! I did 200m in 6:05-you blew me away...I'm such a newbie!!!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!