Friday, February 6, 2009

OK so I'm a fake vegetarian...

My whole point of these 12 Challenges for 2009 was to identify some cool or intriguing stuff and that maybe some of it would stick. My second challenge was the vegetarian challenge. It went better than I could have hoped and I still don't really miss the 'meat'...but remember I said I would kill for a piece of sushi or a fish taco. Yep, fish tacos today and I felt all weirded out by it. I'm NOT a vegetarian (just a fake wanna be vegetarian) but it was quite the quandry that I find hard to put into words. My gut is flipping as we speak. Hasn't had to process that kind of protein in a while!
I'm currently working on Challenge #4, do a 5K swim and it's looking like it is going to happen. Here's a map of the 5K swim - looks like it'll be a two loop number. This may be my first experience (see I didn't say race) where I'll be last. Never done it, never been to one or even seen one...everytime I do something that's similar, I have to get on a bike and then run. What will it be like to 'just swim?' The problem with the 'just swim' is that you have to use everything in the tank and my huge lats/tris/biceps, well, I just need to keep on working...

I'm having some breakthrough workouts since I've added the fourth swim (per week). I'm getting >12,000 yards/week right now and will probably get >16,000 as week get closer. All I know is that I'm smelling like a permanent bottle of bleach, ech. I scrub, scrub, scrub but that's just funky. Ever swim along and notice something in the pool and it kind of scares you...is it a hairball or is it a dead mouse? Even worse...a band-aid, I shudder. I get the creeps either way.

Friday's 5am swim involved the fist drill*...how to get triathletes to turn into a bunch of 14 year old boys...start talking about fisting, er, the fist drill...
Yes, my friends, at 5am, sleep deprived and coffee deprived, coach tells us to do the fist drill. The best part, I swim with earplugs. Anything you say, I'm gonna repeat just louder like your grannie when she leans to you in a restaurant and says something brilliant like - THAT LADY IS REALLY FAT. LOOK AT WHAT IS ON HER PLATE? That's me, in the pool, with plugs in my ears and I pretend to repeat what you say and say something like - OH YOU AND YOUR WIFE PRACTICED THE FIST DRILL LAST NITE? IS THAT LIKE THE DONKEY PUNCH? - at this point, some man (a.k.a. 14 year old boy) is looking at me, laughing, giggling and I just take off for the next set. You got to make it entertaining I mean, swimming >3000 yards at 5am, you gotta to something to 'lighten the mood.'

Getting some riding in and plan to try the 'run thing' again, maybe even two miles this time, eeek. We are going to give it a whirl. I'm still skeerd but I'm going outside this time. F the dreadmill, even for one mile it was one mile too long. I hated it and that guy next to me tried to pull me into his evil web and I need to stay away from that kind of force (temptation to school his sorry ass).
*I'm not good like Glaven and lost the skill to footnote in college BUT the fist drill is real and involves swimming with your hands in a fist. The pull/catch in the water is with your arms only = power swimming and it hurrrts after a while.

13 comments:

Dave said...

Oh Missy, oh missy, oh missy...you make me laugh. Yes I would be on of those 14 year old boys...

TRI-james said...

So true - I was at my sister's house last year and I was talking about this drill with my brother in law at the grocery store. We got some strange looks in the produce department.

Jo Lynn said...

Swimming of any kind at 5:00 am just makes my jaw drop. Good for you!

Shannon said...

You witty woman, I talked about Lance's balls in my spin class this morning. Which got huge laughs btw.....

My husband was talking about fisting the other day at the pool too, I just thought he was hinting around that he hadn't had any in a while. LOL....

Lana said...

Girl, you are going to be kicking arse in the water this year!!!

Isn't that veggie thing kinda neat?!?! I did the same thing right after IM - went totally vegan for 4 weeks, then just vegetarian for 4 more weeks...now I meat as usual, but I wasn't really wanting it when I started back. It just so happened that it was more expensive to feed the family meat and myself vegetarian...and more time consuming to fix 2 different meals. Now, I just call myself a "convenient vegetarian." If I've got a convenient choice, I'll eat veg...otherwise, I'm not causing a fuss over it.

triguyjt said...

damn...the things I read!!!!!

Southbay Girl said...

Just thinking of all that swimming makes me smell bleach!!! As for even contemplating a 5k swim-hell that scares the shit out of me!!! I still haven't gotten into the pool yet to attempt my breaststroke...I'm going sheep herding today!

As for UT.... Go VOLS.... Rocky Top will always be home sweet home to me!!! I'm a UT grad as well! I miss football in the fall!!! I didn't make it back for a game this past fall....

Penny

Johnny Vu said...

Looking at that map made me cringe... I just started doing laps at the gym... One day I will get to the 5K

IronBob (spawning?? at IMAZ 08) said...

Piece of cake of IronMissy. Look at it this way, it's an Ironman swim plus about the time it takes to do transition and 6 miles on the bike. And you can do it all before breakfast!!

Wes said...

I still want to do the local 5K swim, but I am just not up to it this year!

Chloe said...

AHH! I HATE drills! They are the worst. Have you ever done the chicken arms one? Where your hand are under you armpits AS you are doing freestyle? I want to throw up just thinking about it. But the crazy thing is - is that they do help :)

I drank a ton of wine in Miami and got one run in. Whoops. :) When in rome!

You will totally rock out the 5K swim. Don't stress! Just keep on drilling...

Ryan said...

When you said "fisting," I think "IT" moved. ;-)

I have been swimming more too, and the other day while walking through the produce isle I caught a big whiff of chlorine coming through my pores and then started thinking, "can anyone else smell that?"

My wife says my pillow smells like chlorine.

MJ said...

That water looks pretty awesome. Like shampoo or something... hopefully it won't feel (or taste) like that when you are knocking off 5,000 in it.

Good luck!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!