Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

I don't know how many times I heard it so far...Happy Valentime's Day? Valentime's, really? Who did this guy pay to shave a heart into this back and did it really get the chicks like his buddy said?
Had my biggest workout day in a looong time yesterday - swam at 5am (barf o rama), got kicked in the boob hardddd because I cut it too close to guy in front of me, 1/2 day vacation to enjoy a 22 mile bike ride in the nice weather, oh and got to see Dr. PT. So, he asks, what are you doing for Valentine's Day tomorrow? I kind of looked at him like it was a joke, do people really still do 'stuff' for Valentine's Day? Apparently, the marketing machine is still in action to make me tell my loved one's that I really do love them...even more on this day...here's a flower...here's a chocolate...see I love you more today! Weird, I don't know, I guess if I were younger or dating but OUR Valentime's Day will be another bike ride and that's just fine with me.

Randomness...Biggest Loser and the Ironman discussion...
Still haven't seen Biggest Loser from last week but have heard about the Ironman statement made on the show. It made me think of all the friends who have no idea that a 5K is NOT a marathon or ask you how long your marathon was last weekend? A marathon is a marathon, Ironman IS an Ironman. The distances are set and there's no discussion. General population really doesn't know that. I don't want credit for something I haven't done and I do want credit for what I have. We tend to get defensive when we know what it takes, how hard it is to get to that destination, whatever it might be and when someone slights that, it pisses you off - even just a little bit. I always try to set people straight when they get 'confused' about a triathlon vs. Ironman or a 5K vs. a marathon but I just don't think that they listen.


All this Ironman talk is making me miss it, in that twisted kind of way - I feel like the only kid in the bunch NOT doing it (which is not true just feeling that way). Everyone chatting about their training plans and upcoming workouts when all I got is that I swam a gazillion yards last week. BUT I do get to 'sleep in' on the weekends and for that, I am thankful. Training for IM is no freakin joke. While 2010 is sometime away, I'm looking at the 24 Hour Triathlon in Colorado. I've been asking friends about training and what they think, how do you train for something like that other than workout all the time, at every opportunity to do something...one answer I received - it would be really helpful to do some night time workouts, swim at the pool just before closing and then set up a home base in someone's garage, have a ride loop and run loop that you you do repeatedly throughout the night with all your lights on etc. For some reason, that is sounding like a blast to me. I like to ride at night and have the most kick ass headlight (Lupine) - I look like a car coming, truly. Side note: I went down on a night ride and was happy to walk with a cracked helmet, bruises and general train wreck feeling. This light is NOT cheap and is used by 24 hour MTB racers to light their way. Ryan took out a second mortgage on the house to pay for it but it's kickass. My other light just didn't have the range this one does. Anyway, if anyone else has any other tips for this 24 Triathlon, I need help. You know, there's NO canned planned out there on how to train for this thing - every jackass in the world has written a plan on how to run a 5K but I can't find a 'plan' for a 5K swim or a 24 Hour Triathlon. WTF?

15 comments:

Diana said...

Holy crap I'm first to comment! First of all, LOVE the back heart photo! Second, I'm not doing an IM either.....at least this year. Still having the thought of it on the back burner, but I can't seem to come to grips on WHY I want to do. Is it for the glory of it, is it for the "bragging" rights of saying I did it, is it for me, is it for my family, etc.....Some day I'll decide!
Good luck with that 24hr thing...that sounds like something to brag about! ;-)

Dave said...

Ok, heres the deal with Valentine's Day. Before you start getting serious, the guy should just lay out...I don't do valentines day....get over it...

I'm with you on "how far is your marathon?" dibacle...problem is when I started running Ultras...I now have to say oh, it's a 50K or a 50 miler...or whatever...

Good luck on the 24 hr throwdown...start slow and then taper.
DAve

Melanie said...

LOL at that pic! i'm not a big fan of the day either, but I hope you have a great ride! :)

TRI-james said...

Training plan for a 24 hour TRI - go out as hard as you can and just try to hang on!

MJ said...

I think the training plan for a 24 hour triathlon would be - Go Slow.

Now back to that guy on BL... I think his comment was just thrown out like you might talk about a 5k race.

I am going to go out on a limb right here and say there is NO WAY he is going to do an IM before the finale. He'll come back and maybe he will have done a sprint (which is awesome too)...

Jo Lynn said...

LOLOL - my ex-husband said Valentime's Day. So did his mom. I never understood that.

Jen said...

I don't do Valentine's Day. Seems silly.
The hairy dude pic is disgusting!!! Can you even imagine??

Ryan said...

I think the dude shaved a "landing zone" for his boyfriend... :-X

With that in mind....Happy Valentine's Weekend!

Shannon said...

Missy, in response to coming to my class. I want to sleep in your house! Is that to forward?

:)

IronBob (spawning?? at IMAZ 08) said...

24 hour IM??? No minimum distance, just go? The object is to stay awake then.. Here is the training plan: Stay up all night watching movies a couple times, that should do it.. The heart guy reminds me of "The 40 year old virgin"

Marcy said...

Ahhhh that reminds me of the one time over the summer some lady yelling at me while I was running "Ohhh honey it's hot out here. You running a 5k or Ironman or something" Yeaahhh because 5k and IM are totally in the SAME class right there :P

Girl yous a crazy mo-foer with the 24 hr Tri. Sweetness!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

Man, you chicks are soooo lucky because there are guys like that out there willing to shave a heart into their backhair and yet still leave enough hair that you have something to grab and hang onto for dear life while he gives you that romantic rogering you so want and so need.

Man, that is SO hot.

Bet he has really long, flowing @$$hair, too.

I'm jealous.

triguyjt said...

yeah..that ironman comment was really misconstrued..and I have given up trying to describe to others the distances....I usually just say...
google Ironman Distance and then work your way back down from there.... most people, as you said don;t know how long a 5k is....

Tri-ing Fat Man said...

How did you find that picture of me??????

I have been doing triathlon for almost 5 years and I am partaking in my first IM this year (Im FLorida).

For 24 hr tri - train slow and low (hr)!!!

Kick butt!

Runner Leana said...

Hmmm, I'm thinking that guy needed to get a little more liberal with the wax rather than just going for the heart shape. Ew!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!