Friday, February 27, 2009

Fun runs and the Biggest Liar

Chris and Angie...some of my favorite people and fun running partners....

Woohoo, four mile run in the books and I've always said a run with a friend is better than a PR alone. While we didn't encounter anything great like a wild dingo, albino deer or wolverine on our run tonite, Angie and I did catch up, laugh and love on every dog that passed by. It's a bad habit of ours - who can pass a three month old Great Dane, c'mon! So, we did it, and I totally feel it in my ankle. Apparently, three miles is the marker and four pushes me over the edge. Very frustrating.


No great swim news - it's recovery week so I think I'm just not going to get up at 4am tomorrow to get to the pool. You know, you got to take advantage of recovery weeks and days. I'm going to make the most of it and sleep instead...and get pumped for the kick ass week of 15,000 yards ahead of me. Barf.


Thanks to all my supporters in my love of all bad words. I can't help myself. I learned everything I know from my Mom;) ...only in the south can you tell someone to f off with a smile on your face...the 'ladies' down here do it all the time.


I hear that the Biggest Loser should be renamed the Biggest Damn Liar. Dan and Laura have done some research on the topic and I was just floored by the second athletic debacle on the Biggest Loser. (And here's another article as well.) The first was the Ironman that was quoted at less than 100 miles in total. Yeah, it's 140.6 miles and don't you forget it bitches. Anyway, I blew that off for someone that just didn't know. Now the show said Dane did a marathon in LESS THAN four hours. I sat there with my mouth open wondering if that could be right??? If a guy can lose 100lbs in eight weeks, why the hell not!? I mean 100lbs ... that's losing a small person for crying out loud. What I'm seeing and hearing is that it's all a lie. Yep, he and wifey got picked up by a van and driven to the finish line for their photo op. I don't give a shit if they ran 23 miles. 23 miles is NOT a marathon people and it flies in the face of everyone that has busted their arse to do one. I swear to you there is a guy that lives around here with the MDOT tattoo. Confronted one day, or asked which IM he participated in, he said - I haven't done one yet, I only do sprints. It's my lifestyle reminder. ARE YOU EFFEN KIDDING ME? Yep, believe it! Beautiful tat but really? OK, I'm getting the damn Olympic rings on my shoulder to remind me of what? That I'm not good enough at any sport in the Olympics? Oh, but that's my lifestyle reminder. It's a joke and it's disrespectful to everyone that has done a marathon, ultra, or Ironman...that shiz is harrrrd AND I don't EVEN mean the race. Getting your arse ready for something of that magnitude is hard as hell. Don't negate MY finish by lying about yours, whatever the event. THAT said, I couldn't lose 100lbs in eight weeks - yell that from the mountain tops, you deserve all the accolades you get for that one buddy. Yeah, yeah it's the media machine at work but now I seriously doubt any damn thing on that show. What the hell else are they lying about? The actual losses, the actual workouts. I don't know. I used to LOVE that show, totally addicted. I think it may have just totally jumped the shark...
Bye, bye Biggest Liars and HELLLLLOOO Rock of Love Bus ... they're ALL a bunch of damn liars but at least they admit it AND it's part of the game. C'mon, when I hear - I think I popped an implant - on TV, I'm totally in.

21 comments:

Ryan said...

Hey! That craig's list post is bullshit!...I invented the moon. Don't take my claim to fame away. That's Fuc&ed up to do that to me.

If you have time to watch TV you have time to train some more.


MDOT tattoo dude...F*ck you!

There is a guy in Pensacola who did IMFL 07 and he STILL smokes cigarettes. His finish time was 14:20 something. I asked if he smoked during the race and he said no but really wanted one on the bike. How Fu*ked up is that?

Alright, I'm going to have a great day now because I let out all of my inner frustrations by say Fu*k so much.

Ah...Fu*K!

kristen said...

Well said! Who gets an MDOT tat w/out actually being a finisher? What a douche bag. I have a kona IM t-shirt that I bought in Hawaii (before I became a runner/triathlete) and I wont even wear it because I feel like a total poser.

Diana said...

Doing the IM to get the tatt, that would be my motivation to do the IM so I can stalk my tattoo artist!!
I used to watch BL all the time too, but have strayed away from all the TV bullshit and how they do things on there....too much drama and none of it real!

Chloe said...

I have the pink bus tattooed on my ass. Just as a reminder that I am not a blonde. Therefore I will only be on the blue bus. Total disappointment. But now my tuesdays will be free - so I guess I'll be going to yoga.

Have you given the MDOT guy hell? I think you should harass him everytime that you see him!

Congrats on the good run! With your 5K swim - you got me thinking about a 5K swim over in Pensacola. HMMMMM.....

Wes said...

ROFL @ Ryan...

I saw that episode where the guy said he was training for an Ironman and gave the distances as about half iron distance. I just chalked it up to newbie ignorance. Not a big deal for me.

It's a little selective ignorance when people leave the world "half" out of Ironman and marathon on TV, but in truth, I really don't care :-)

Melanie said...

ya, i was aggravated about the marathon thing too. i went to sleep that night thinkin' WOW... then read Laura's post. I'm with you on that guy with the tattoo... what a loser. enjoy your weekend.

TRI-james said...

Lying to themselves - major self-esteem issues - your neighbor included. People do this all the time with the cars, boats, etc that they can’t afford.

But I’m like you – I call them out.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Thanks for the advice the other day, it was greatly appreciated.

I am floored by them lying about what they have done. I bust my ass day in and day out and refuse to call myself a triathlete till I cross a finish line. And these people are going around calling themselves marathoners?!?!?!

Molly said...

OMG that would piss me off so much. How did you not smack him?!

Jo Lynn said...

I don't even watch those shows but I enjoy learning about them through your stories. ;)

Glaven Q. Heisenberg said...

I've never run a marathon, but I have an MDOT tattoo. It's on my penis. But it's okay because when I get aroused it says:

"My Oh My Doesn't the prospect of Our having sex look pretty Terrific?"

It only sez "MDOT" when I'm not excited. (Which isn't often, btw.)

I don't apologize for it because it's a lifestyle reminder.

IronBob (spawning?? at IMAZ 08) said...

Glaven,
If it's on your penis, does that mean it looks like a tick or an ink smudge most of the time??

Carly said...

*jumping up and down cheering* I get so annoyed with the people who live in the glory of ALMOST completing an event. there is no almost.....you either do or you don't.

Who does that with the tattoo????? It is bad enough accepting a marathon medal without finishing but getting inked? *screaming*

Nikemom said...

ROTFLMAO @ Glaven!!!! Is that a full or half?

I'm getting the mDot70.3 tat after June 14 when I know I've actually accomplished that bad boy! {and not on my privates} :D

untpawgal02 said...

Nice job on the yardage for swimming this week! Enjoy your recovery :)

Dave said...

First, take advantage of an off week. Resting and recovering is as important as busting out a hardcore week. Tapering starts after this weekend's 45 miles of running. My body is telling me so too.

I am with you on the MDOT tattoo. I wish I would have gotten a Marine Corps tattoo when I was in...people say, well why don't you get one now? because I'm not in now...Lifestyle my arse...i won't get a 100 mile ultra anything till I run a 100 mile Ultra....period...give me a freaking break!!! thanks for letting me vent.

p.s. Glavin...hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahah oh that's funny.

joyRuN said...

"a run with a friend is better than a PR alone" - so true!

That BL dude is a freakin' tool.

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Hang in there with the running - give it time. Your body needs to heal - AND the fact that you can run three miles is GREAT. It will come back, I promise. Or scouts honor. Or something like that.

Wow - Biggest Looser really is, well - liar. Dishonesty sucks - I was wondering about his time and figured he did a lot of work and training. Not I'm just disappointed, and don't trust the show. But he'll have to live with that lie for the rest of his life. Yikes.

Runner Leana said...

Oh my word, I am laughing my arse off here at Ryan and Glaven's comments. Hilarious!!!!!

First off - my MDOT tattoo is my lifestyle reminder??? WTF? Then get a symbol for the three sports somewhere instead. That can be your lifestyle reminder!

And yeah, I read on a friend's blog that he got picked up and transported 3 miles to the finish. Something about not making the 6 hour time limit otherwise? The clock did say he crossed in 5:xx:xx, not 3:53:xx. There is nothing wrong with a 6 hour marathon finish. Just attempting one is great, especially since he just lost 100 lbs. But whoever said they should get on a bus so they can cross the finish line, geez...then don't go saying that you just finished a marathon. Because you didn't.

Boy...I sound angry..!!

Ron said...

I was in the Cub Scouts does that mean I can get a Marine Corp tat?

Oz Runner said...

I was wondering how he could finish in sub 4 hour time...I knew there was no way...I mean there are runners that spend their whole lives trying to run a sub 4 hour marathon...when I saw the time clock I thought it was 5:53, but then they said 3:53, I had to rewind it just to check, and sure enough the bulbs weren't burnt out and you couldn't tell...what a bummer

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!