Thursday, January 29, 2009

Swimming and the Band Thief

I had to giggle when I read Marit's post about an article she ran across regarding bands on your paddles from Excel Aquatics. I laughed because I swim with the Excel Triathletes and Masters team. Well, our coach is so vigilant in removing all but the 'finger band' that she will pull them off your paddles while you're swimming-doing some other exercise. I heard a couple of folks in her office afterwards were begging for them back. Well, here's what her band collection looks like today. I'm sure it will grow! Bands = poor form, she says. I don't know but I still get lapped by the big guys. So damn strong.

So there it was. We did ~3000 last nite, not a ton but not bad. 5K, 5K, 5K, Miami Open Water Swim. I got some work to do, that's for sure. Mr. PT says I'm getting better but no running...boooo. I can kick and push of the wall and ride a bike. Now, if it'll just warm up. I don't care WHAT is on TV, I hate the trainer, borrrring.

Vegetarian Challenge - day 5 - All I can say is you better plan for your your meals and don't let them happen to you. I am still on track but had some random shiz that didn't really go together last nite...can't just make a turkey sandwich right now. I'm happy with everything so far and I've learned a ton. I know it's only day 5 but I'm not really craving anything EXCEPT for fish. For some reason, I'm dying for fish tacos and sushi. Maybe the lead is low in my diet or something! I can even deal with fake sausage. I do LIKE the fact that I'm not biting into a piece of gristle or hard nugget. Once that happens, I'm out, sausage, burger, whatever. Gives me the creeps. I might even be able to do the vegan thing at some point but in my humble opinion, cheese trumps everything. I could die from a cheese withdrawal and don't even talk to me about soy cheese. Chocolate soy milk, OK, soy cheese or vegan 'butter' - I think NOT!

12 comments:

Diana said...

Being Wisconsin native.....cheese rules and should never be taken out of a diet! Gristle...yum! I applaud you for sticking to your veggie ways...I on the other hand have a story in regards to what my body does with veggies on my blog-as soon as I get off Facebboook and everyone else blog to write it!

Marit Chrislock-Lauterbach said...

Nice job with the vegetarian thing! Yeah - once you start dreaming of beef jerky or something, it's over and done. :) Some vegetarians DO eat fish...so sushi wouldn't be totally out. So maybe just a mammal vegetarian?!? Yeah, the vegan thing would be really really hard. If you think that planning out your meals ahead of time is tricky now, just wait! My hats off to anyone who can do it. But - also having lived in Wisconsin for 3 years - I love cheese.

Nice paddle picture! I could send along my two wrist bands, and it would only add! LOVE it!

The Running Girl said...

Good job on the swim and the challenge. I agree that soy cheese just doesn't cut it.

Marcy said...

Man you're the shiznit! I can't imagine trying to roll iwth the vag thing. SO far so good chica!

MJ said...

Nice work... keep strong! I am done today but i won't tell you what I am eating - don't want to weaken your resolve!

Marcy said...

OHhhhh my god! This is what I get for not proofreading :-X HAHAHA! I'm sure your vag is clean, nice and healthy HAHA!

Wes said...

Swimming that far this time of year is just wrong in so many ways :-) I might have to try that veg thing...

JP said...

Oh yea, I just got new boat oars for paddles and the band thief took mine too... I'm going to say that's why I had no control and ended up hitting you, I'm going to steal them back !
Count down to fish tacos, woohooo..

Shannon said...

Way to go on the V thing, I thought for sure I would venture to find your lips wrapped around a Red Robin burger. I'm not very encouraging am I? LOL

Ron said...

It takes discipline to continue with an injury. I have a tendence to stop doing anything when there are other things I could be doing. Way to go. The food sounds yuk.

untpawgal02 said...

TV doesn't make the trainer any easier... it's all mental... blah!

Runner Leana said...

Your vegetarian challenge is really inspiring! I heart bacon, but I've not had an issue with eating tofu in the past. I do think it would be a great way to jump start my desire to try to eat better though - like trying to cook at home more, cook a bit healthier...all that jazz. Yup, maybe some kind of challenge is exactly what I need!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!