Sunday, January 4, 2009

Holy Fiber Batman, my poor colon!


I'm starting out with challenge #5 - five fruits and veggies a day - three veg and two fruit. Like everyone, I suppose I had a distorted view of what it looks like...



This is only two veg and two fruit. Two cups of lettuce is one veg - I swear I jammed it in that measuring cup, not looking to cheat already. Next to it is one cup of broccoli jammed in there and, of course, the apple and pear. I have to figure out a way to get in one more veg today...and it's pizza nite, Sunday's + pizza + football = the perfect kind of day. Oh yeah, and swimming this afternoon.




I placed all the lettuce and broccoli in a regular soup bowl, pouring over the edges. Threw on a little carrot on top, not enough to 'count' and ate it. A normal kind of salad at my house is 1/2 this size + dinner with a meat, starch and another veg. I can really see where I may have been getting about half this much of the fruit and veg on a regular basis but NOT FIVE consistently each day. I hope this will help with the vegetarian challenge at some point this year. I'll freak out if I have to eat a salad like this each day. Seems delicious and tasty and fresh...until you've had your fourth salad for the week. Sooo, I had to learn what a parsnip looked like and a turnip root so I can expand my veggie options this week. Grocery guy looked at me like I was nuts, dumb girl doesn't know that a parsnip is a white carrot, jeeze!





See, I didn't cheat, I swear it. I haven't even choked down the apple and pear and feel like I'm all bloated with fiber. I'm actually kind of scared of what my colon is going to say about all of this , I swear. Thankfully, when I was buying up all the bulk produce at Sam's Club (grown in USA or Canada only) today, I also bought the super jumbo pack of toilet paper. Ha!


Day one is not over yet, but I'm confident I'll be just fine today. Back to work tomorrow and THAT will be the challenge, back into regular routine...after 2+weeks off. Swim practice this afternoon and I'm really looking forward to it. My lane mates may not be so happy with my new found fiber diet...beware of the bubbles guys!

7 comments:

Ron said...

Elaine Benes would call that a "Big Salad". Love the Big Salad. Do you have a new nic name------Bubbles.

Marcy said...

ROFLMAO! Man I always get the WORST gas when I up the fiber. So nasty HAHA

triguyjt said...

the only colon worth having is a Happy Colon..
good for u.

Jo Lynn said...

The gas will go away and the benefits from the extra fruits and veggies are worth it. Keep it up.

Kona Shelley said...

Yah..big salads are great, keep up the fruits and veggies, I need to get better at that too!

SC's Adventures said...

Have a glass of fruit juice it is a great easy way to get a fruit portion in!

Ps. Bubble power has to help your swim times with the benefit of knocking out your opponants!

Southbay Girl said...

ha ha were there bubbles?

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!