Sunday, January 25, 2009

Day one vegetarian and my brush with fame


After MUCH research and menu planning, I headed out to the grocery - Sam's club for copious amounts of avocado, apples, bananas, eggs and Whole Foods for all else. I only shop there sometimes because I hate to pay the Whole Foods tax but where else am I going to find quality tofu? So much learning and reading and so much damn time spent in the store walking in circles because I couldn't find baked tofu (I had to bake it myself), couldn't find lara bars, you get the picture. I spent way to much time in there but as I'm checking out, I notice a pretty girl and guy behind me in line. I also noticed that an extra bagger came over to my lane to help out, not a coincidence. At Whole Foods in Franklin, TN, you are liable to run into anyone....today it was Carrie Underwood and her boyfriend of the moment??? No idea, cute, tall, dark, hat, whatever. They all live here because people just leave them alone. I didn't see one camera phone picture or autograph request. In my mind I wanted to ask her, don't you love it here because people leave you alone? Then I thought, how dumb, that's NOT leaving her alone you jack ass. Then I just told her not to steal my soup and left the store.


Today's Menu started with a Breakfast Burrito made with this stuff - it looks like dog food when you open the package. Reconstituted dog food or refried beans with sausage like seasoning in it BUT I was going to give it a chance....
Picture isn't so great but that is my dog food sausage, egg whites, black beans, salsa, cheese in a whole wheat tortilla. I have to say, thumbs up, even with the dog food like sausage product. It all tasted very good and had some resemblance to sausage.
After that, I had to figure out this tofu thing. I had a recipe for stuffed shells made with firm tofu, spices, spinach, garlic, olive oil. Except for the fact that I didn't add enough salt, it was great, very filling and creamy.


THEN, the family wanted to go out for pizza. Fine, I had pizza with mushrooms, tomatoes and banana peppers. I didn't get all militant on the pizza guy asking about the details of the sauce - I just didn't get any meat on my pizza. So, one day in the bank. I DO feel like I missed out on the pizza though, pepperoni is the shiz niz for me. All in all, a good first day. Tomorrow, some chick pea spread, cucumber salad and yogurt for lunch - that'll be the hardest, not going out to lunch with my peeps.


I was also tagged by Chloe...we share a love of triathlon and Rock of Love Bus with Bret Michaels, what can we say, we take our trash TV seriously. So, Five of my Fabulous Addictions are:

  1. Any show where people have to come over some obstacle and HOPEFULLY come out on top - Biggest Loser (love it) and Intervention on A&E. It's all a train wreck but I can't seem to look away.
  2. Dr. Pepper chapstick - I have at least five at all times so I don't have to ever go without.
  3. Coke - After a hard workout, I find that there is nothing better than a cold Coca-Cola. Protein schmotein, I need some sugar damn it.
  4. My Booberry (aka Blackberry) - I don't know how fabuloso that one is but I'm totally addicted...I'm that guy walking in the airport bumping in to people while I'm returning emails BUT I'm not yelling on the phone so give me a break.
  5. Sleeper Peeper eyemask - it has totally become my teddy bear, I can't sleep without it OR rather, I can't sleep with even a slip of light coming in from an alarm clock or tv; gotta be pitch black. It's a very hot look.

And my five fabulous bloggers to be tagged will have to wait...I think Rock of Love Bus is on right now, got to roll...

11 comments:

triguyjt said...

thats stuff looks pretty good...

I love that you let carrie underwood alone.....

Chloe said...

Ok. So - all three shows you mentioned in this post are my top three shows.
Sunday = Rock of love bus
Monday = Intervention
Tuesday= Biggest Loser
I've been spending a ton of time on the damn trainer due to these shows.

The burrito looks awesome!! Good luck the rest of the week!

Southbay Girl said...

I'm a pescatarian-couldn't go all veg because I hate tofu...it's consistency is nasty! So if you have good recipes that don't make the tofu taste nasty-give them up!!!

MJ said...

It's tough for me to look at food posts these days.... I have 3 days left on this cleanse.

That burrito looked pretty awesome but I'll bet C.U. looked better.... I like places where people chill out and leave celebs alone. Vancouver is like that most of the time.

Shannon said...

did Carrie have makeup on?

Kudo's on the vegetarian thing, but I give it a month before your consuming a hamburger like a fat kid loves cake. LOL

untpawgal02 said...

I don't even own a Blackberry.. instead some of my friends do... and I'm addicted to that thing!

Kona Shelley said...

I'm hungry..:-))
Hey I have a new blog now:
www.konashelley.blogspot.com

The Running Girl said...

I totally agree that there is nothing better after a long, hot run than and ice cold coke! Yum!!!

Steve Stenzel said...

I think I'll stick to sausage over "resemblance to sausage" any day...

Actually, I usually use turkey sausage. But that's still meat I guess.

Good luck!!

Marcy said...

They have Dr Pepper chapstick?!? What?! Where have I been? LOL

Jo Lynn said...

I'm impressed you said the 'sausage' wasn't bad. It usually takes a little while for someone to accept the taste. Good for you! Keep it up. I'll bet you will really feel a difference at the end of this.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!