Monday, December 22, 2008

Get your head out of the sand, er...



I think the Ironfog is finally lifting. I'm feeling the need to get out there, get running, attempt my FIRST bike ride and back into the water...with some kind of regularity. It was on my run yesterday, at about 23 degrees (that's coollld for TN) that I realized I needed to get my head out of the sand. My year was spent preparing for one day and now what? I spent that year with my nose to the grindstone, most runs were solo and often in the wee hours of the morning (or late nite, whatever you want to call it). There was speed work, long rides and countless yards in the pool. So much of it was fun but it was all with a very specific purpose. I could come home from a two hour run and not know what I saw...save the random guy at the do-it-yourself carwash at 4am, but whatever. I mean, I didn't see my neighbors, I didn't see that their kids are in high school and driving and I need to watch myself out there. I was determined, I was focused and I was purposeful...and my head was stuck in the Ironman sand.


This year...I vow to run 'around' at least once a week and if a neighbor wants to stop and talk, I will stop and talk and find out how THEY are doing. I will not casually wave them off because I'm trying to get 'this done' so I can get to work or get to bed or get to food. I vow to do one race without gadgets - heart rate monitors or even a watch. I will stop to smell the roses and I will stop at the corner store when I'm on a bike ride and eat a cheeseburger ... and not even care that I ride 15mph home. I will stop at the tomatoE (they spell it with an E) stand and buy whatever is in season just because I can. I will get my head out of the sand.

5 comments:

Jo Lynn said...

I LOVE it! I know exactly what you're talking about. I prepared the entire year for my first 50K that happened in September. I even had to leave Boomer behind on my super long (over four hour) runs. It was a drag.

Wes said...

Me too! but I think I'll wait until its a tad bit warmer :-)

Holly Jane said...

Missy, I think this sounds like a great plan! You've earned it!

Chloe said...

Sounds like a plan! It's more then most people do at all :)

Eat some more Christmas cookies and drink another glass of wine!

Steve Stenzel said...

That sounds like a great plan!

Happy Holidays!!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!