Saturday, December 27, 2008

Bucket List Pix - a Perfect Day!

As stated below, the bucket list was to start here with wine. It's a little bit of California in the middle of 'nowwhere' Tennessee. It really makes you feel like you're somewhere else. We used to ride by this place at least weekly during IM training.

This is 'us' - Mrs. Triswami, Triswami (my coach), Andy (faithful running partner), Ryan and me on the deck polishing off two bottles of wine.

Next stop, cheeseburgers, made by hand in the back, grilled on the Weber out front. We all indulged in cheeseburgers, chips and cokes. They were as good as you would imagine. After all those miles and having to smell those burgers being grilled out front while I got some measly water or gatorade...this was payback time.

The tomato(E) stand was closed BUT this may be better. Bo, a retired veteran, gave me one of his tomato(E)s instead. He said he didn't have time for a picture...he obviously doesn't know me that well. Here we are.

This is the local dog at the store that won't come near you...unless you have a bag of chicken fingers. He's getting ready for some kind of tasty treat here.

Oh, yeah, it's dinner time baby!

I did it and I'm so happy I did. This is Anderson Yaeger, aka Snook, I think. He was very hard to understand and I had to ask him to repeat himself many times. Snook will wave at anyone passing by, cyclists, cars, anyone. We pulled up in our dually and I jumped out with my camera hoping that he wouldn't think it was an assault and shoot me. Crazy white lady running up to my house? Anyway, I got out and introduced myself as one of the many cyclists that passes his house and told him that I really appreciated him waving to me - it was often the highlight of my ride. I would just think about who he was, what he's done in his life and if he had carpet in his house. His house doesn't look like any place 'we' would live. Even in the middle of summer, smoke would billow out the top, I presume for cooking.

After everyone piled out for a minute, we chatted, took inventory of all his pill bottles, beer cans and liquor pints on the front porch, took a peek into his house to confirm he didn't have a dirt floor...it WAS at least 100 degrees in there. I could feel the heat pouring out.


And really, I don't know much more than I did from just passing by and waving. I'm still glad I stopped, though. I always said that when 'this' is over, I'm gonna. Melanie gave him her tomato(E) from Bo and he was really happy. For a second, I thought he was going to eat it right there. He did have many pots and pans out front collecting rain water - you can see some in the picture. I wonder if this is his water. His home may not have running water, from what I could tell. If it did, it was minimal. Maybe this is his water and that's what all the smoke is all the time - boiling the water for use? While I don't have any earth shattering or historical stories to tell you about Snook, I just know that he's 'on my route,' he's a nice man and he'll wave at you the next time you go by.

6 comments:

untpawgal02 said...

How wonderful of you to stop at Snooks house for a visit! That must have made his day :)

Jo Lynn said...

That is AWESOME, the story about the man that always waves. Very heart warming. Thanks so much for sharing.

Southbay Girl said...

Great story and since I'm in Nashville visiting my parents I'm going to the Arrington Vineyards! Thanks

Marcy said...

Awwwhhhh that is awesome!! How cool that you got to chill with The Snook ;-)

Chloe said...

what an awesome day! Spending time at a winery is the best - good conversation, amazing views, and wonderful wine! And I'm sure Snook cooks up some MEAN ASS BBQ!

Steve Stenzel said...

Great photos! I think Snook and I would have gotten along very well!!

Happy New Year!!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!