Monday, November 24, 2008

Triathletes obsess about...

Yep, they obsess, discuss and even debate bodily fluids and other strange bodily things, how nasty they are, how to get them out and what they look like when it's over. Example: whole blog postings on poop (Lana, it was freakin hilarious). OK, why is it hilarious - because your not 'supposed to talk about it' and we all do it, hopefully, each day...at least once...unless your on a long run and your gut turns and then it might be more than once...but I digress. So Saturday nite, a group of us go to a local bar. What does the conversation turn to? Yes again Sherlock, peeing, did you pee on the bike, how do you pee on the bike, pee in a wetsuit is warm, a guy peed on me without even giving me the wave by - I was wondering what was getting me wet until I looked over. (Seriously dude, you could just give me the wave instead of peeing in my face.) Ironically, this lovely piece of tri life happened to three of the four of us that did IMFL.

This, in fact, happened to Rebecca (below). Hers was the best - dude was in a speedo peeing on her...nice, not even a hint of padding to help with absorption. She's fast enough to ride with the guys in the speedos!




THEN there's all the crazy, funky skin things - the rash from the nasty lake that Abby had to shake, the funky skin thing from the pool that I got, lost toenails and NOW a wart. A big ass, painful, nasty wart on the ball on my left foot. Would I have picked up this virus if I didn't live out of a duffel bag for the last year? Probably not. Chalk it up to Ironman, the gift that keeps on giving. I had it during training but just sucked it up - I guess all my other shit hurt too badly for me to even think about this little piece of work. And YES, I tried to take a picture of it to show you (how nasty is that, sorry) but I couldn't get a good angle by myself and couldn't ask Ryan to it, I just couldn't.

So when you're out with your tri friends in a public place, just know that 'normal people' don't talk about chafing, rubbing, peeing on themselves or others, pooping, snot rockets and the art of farting on the run. This is why they are looking at you funny. You know, I think that's why Ryan dropped ME off solo at the bar on Saturday. Hmmm, that's very curious?!? Well, that's why I love you guys - we can talk about all those things and OH so much more and STILL get dressed up and look all perrty to go out with makeup on even (I think we all stopped to stare at each other for at least 10 minutes with hair did and make-up on). But deep down, you're just a nasty triathlete like the rest of us, and I love ya!

7 comments:

triguyjt said...

I always thought the all time best name for something was the snotrocket.....

can't beat it....

The Running Girl said...

So true!!! It's not ok for my kids to fart in the living room, but my running buddy is fine as long as she's behind me when she does it. Athletes have different standards.

And I had to laugh at the end when you said it takes a while to recognize each other with hair and makeup done. When I trained for my first marathon, the group met every Saturday morning for the long run. Come race time, we met at the airport. It was so funny to see everyone's face as they walked up. You could see the wheels turning - "is that so and so?" We all looked different in regular clothes and all fixed up.

jahowie said...

You had a guy pee on you and he lived to ride another day?!?! I would have thrown up. Gross!!

Holly Jane said...

LOLOLOL. I will still be laughing at this post 24 hours from now. Great one!

Chloe said...

So - in the middle of my 20 mile run last weekend I had to find a bush and......is a great way to start any martini night :)

My mind started floating about seeing everyone in other then '5am running clothes' The guys are smoking and all of the lovely ladies are even lovier then ever! We can clean up nicely :) We're actually all gertting together for wine for a thanksgiving happy hour - I'll try to post some eyecandy on the blog :)

CHEERS! CHLOE

Chloe said...

Also - quick side note about the IMFL twins. It was very hard for me not to chase them down on the marathon. Ahhh...the next time I see them... :)

Lana said...

Poopin', peeing, and warts...who wants to be normal?!?!? That would just be boring! I love you too Missy!!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!