Friday, September 26, 2008

5100 yards, an aerohelmet and the great ‘Debate’ of 2008!

5100 yards
Wednesday nite, Excel Triathlete swim practice 6:30-8:00 – as usual, Ironman people in these two lanes, everyone else over here. Got it. Basically, the sets are just longer and swim or pull only – thank God because my legs are all kinds of shot these days. Who can kick, let alone put on a pair of fins!?


At 7:45ish, I look at the guy in the lane with me and say, er, yell (I wear ear plugs) – MY ARMS ARE SORE AND I’M TIRED…HUNGRY TOO. He agreed but I’m no so sure I heard words, grunts maybe.

We finish the final set, Ashley leans over the side and says – 50 x 100’s – that’s what I heard, anyway.
I yelled – WTF? Seriously, it’s 8:05.
Ashley leans over again – NO 5-1-0-0, you just did 5100 yards.
I yelled – WTF (again) and now knew why my shoulders hurt in all new places

As I made an attempt to lift myself out of the pool, I stumbled to the locker room, I think I had my earplugs still in because I’m certain I kept yelling 5100 yards, really? I was so swim drunk it wasn’t even funny. One drive thru chicken sandwich later and I was in the bed with the satisfaction of knowing that’s the farthest I’ve ever swam at once.

Aerohelmet
I like to call it the sperm helmet…not to be confused with Something About Mary. I just think it looks like a giant sperm on my head. Anyway, I got to try out triswami’s aerohelmet that he’s trying to sell. I didn’t think it was going to be a good idea but I HAD to try. Apparently, I move my head too much for the sperm helmet – constantly looking for traffic, deer or a rogue dog. I was wondering WHO was screaming at me in my right ear…it was the sperm helmet every time I moved my head to look over my shoulder. It would scream at me – KEEP YOUR HEAD STRAIGHT, I’M NOT MEANT TO TURN. So, I’ll stick with what I got. At least it doesn’t yell at me.

Great ‘Debate’ of 2008
If you from ‘my’ area, you know exactly what I’m talking about…Should Time Trial bikes be allowed in club rides? What about recumbants? Oh, and tandems, no one wants to be behind a tandem on an uphill or get crushed by them on the downhill. What about the jackasses I saw the other day on a ‘sanctioned’ club ride on the triple – three grown adults? Try to make an evasive maneuver on that POS. Oh, and yeah if you have 650 wheels you best ride together from the rest of us…you’re just too short and because of this, you certainly must not have any bike handling skills. Yeah, if you’re under 18 you probably don’t have enough skills to ride with us either so you best stick to the sidewalk. Parents, sorry, you can’t come either, while your bike is technically a road bike, that attachment thingy on the back so your 8 year old can pedal, yeah, that’s out too. Mountain bikers, you need to stick to the mountain. Hybrids, sorry, not good enough for the roadies or mountain bikers – I don’t have an answer for you on that one.

Skills are skills. I wrecked on my Road Bike at nite once, does that mean I don’t have the right to even ride a TT bike?!? I’ve become very cautious since that wreck. I do NOT ride with people I don’t trust or know. This may be lonely to some and I will ride alone any day than participate in one of ‘their’ wreckless (snob) festivals. Let them go rub on their road bikes together.
SHARE THE ROAD AND BE SAFE OUT THERE.


P.S. Did I mention that I LOVE my road bike?

2 comments:

Jill said...

This might not be obvious...but I think your IM training is making you deaf! Do you think? Not hearing Ash at swim and then with the helmet ?? Could start a public service announcement "don't do IM, it will make you deaf."

I totally am with you on the snoba$$es and their issues. I have wanted to ride so many times w/them but Joe tells me they will drop me and snub me. Good thing I'm not a real biker or I'd hate everyone too. Ugh...we need to start our own "come join our friendly rides group."

Oh, less than 40 days until the Budweiser and fun starts...!!! I'll be the one with the MEGA phone!!!

Colleen said...

I just found your blog and am doing IMFL too. It'll be my first. Best of luck to you!!!

Sounds like that swim workout was tough! I probably wouldn't have been able to get my body out of the water! HA!

And I can't stop giggling at the sperm helmet. Thanks for that... now every time I see one, I'm going to think that!

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!