Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Olympic Fever!

You've got to love it, tv we can really appreciate, I mean REALLY appreciate. Heck, I appreciate the fact that the women's beach volleyball teams can run around, dig and keep those suits on, I appreciate the fact that the Olympics are on at 4:30 when I get up, nothing like stretching out for your run watching the women's handball game or match or whatever it is. Obviously, I just sit there in awe over their athletic ability while I go out for my run that would qualify as a walk in their book. Oh well, I'm giving it hell anyways, especially this morning with my triswami - 6 x 800's were on tap. Goody! I don't know if it's the extra rest from my day off yesterday OR if it's Olympic inspiration but I felt like I dropped the hammer today and it was goooood. Dumb analogy that I use in my head to go faster or get up that hill - it'll hurt for just a second and then it's over OR the faster you go, the faster you get done. Stupid, yeah, accurate, yeah!

I don't have kids but here's why being the non-parent adult figure in the lives of your friends' kids is neat...

Hey, hey, Miss Missy is here, Miss Missy is here - fist pumps, jumps, an all around rock and roll welcome from 4-6 year old boys who think you are funny and neat. You know, the only other time you can get a welcome like that is from your dog, they always think your neat.

Olympic fever - sitting with a 4 year old girl, as she is ready for bed, jammies on, blanket in hand, snuggles up next to me for the women's marathon on Saturday nite -
Miss Missy?
Yes Summer?
Do you watch the OLYMpicks?
Yes Summer, my favorites are the swimming, cycling and running, what are your favorites?
Miss Missssyyyyy, those are your favorites because that's what YOU do! (laughter)
Yes, Summer, you're right, that's what I DO.
Miss Missy?
Yes Summer?
Um, I love you! (Hugs all around)
...oh so sweet.

There's nothing like a kid who has NO jaded opinion of you, doesn't know all the stupid stuff you've done in your life and thinks that YOU are pretty cool.

2 comments:

Dr. Sharon Browning said...

Hey Jennifer! Or Missy. I cant believe I found you here. I'm training for a half marathon for the fall & my 1st sprint tri for the spring. Before Mar of this year I had never even ran a mile before. But i love it! I'm so addicted. & I love your blog. It's so inspiring & so honest. I'm learning a lot about chaffing reading it. =) I'm so impressed. Would love to chat sometime soon! Since I'm just starting out you could point me in the right direction. Amy Halleran

Dr. Sharon Browning said...

not sure why it posted Sharon's name but this is Amy. Check out my blog at http://beyondJEMS.wordpress,com

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!