Monday, July 14, 2008

Muncie Endurathon it was freakin' wicked ridonkulous!



Let me just start by saying THAT the Muncie Endurathon is an A+ race. The race director rocked, the officials were great (tough but fair), the organization was amazing and they were super helpful and friendly. The event itself was very low key in that there was excellent competition there but there were lots of well wishes, good lucks, lookin great, keep it up, going on at this race. Everyone was set up to succeed...except for one small factor...the weather. More on that in a minute.
Jere, Abby, Kimberly and I departed on Thursday after work. All was well until we hit Indiana and I decided to stop at a WalMart at about 1:00am for some cough medicine. I had been sick as a dog the week prior so I needed some Robo. Apparently, this is where all the meth heads hang out at 1:00 on a Friday morning. There was a line of people with the shakes you wouldn't believe - missing teeth, missing limbs and I'm NOT kidding. I was afraid to touch anything. Oh and they were there with their kids, babies and they were all awake...at 1:00am.


Anyway, made it to Indiana in one piece and proceeded to pass out. Friday we made the cursory trip to the lake for a preview swim, bike, run just to make sure all our shit worked. It did and we were good. Went to the expo and met fun nice people, got our packets and went to a prerace meal at a friend's friends friends house out in the country. We were all pretty cranky and tired at this point but the peace in the country did us all some good to chill. This lovely lady, Vanessa, made all these hippie backpacker triathletes a wonderful dinner for which we were forever grateful to she and her mercenary husband Dave. After that, everyone went their separate ways for a good nites rest...did I mention that Abby and I slept in a church that nite? Godspeed Endurathon Triathletes was our welcome sign. It was great and for $15 it was even better, heck, the pastor made our coffee on race morning, what more can you ask for!?


This was the least nervous I've ever been. I wasn't stressed, I didn't obsess, I just got ready to workout/race. I was great. Got up, had coffee at the church, got dressed and went to the race site about 1.5 miles down the road. Well, we didn't have a tv the nite before so it was a surprise to wake up to storm clouds. Big ones. We started asking around and sure enough, it was on the way. After we got the no wetsuit signal (yeah), the race director held a pre-race meeting to say he's pulling ahead all wave swim times by ~3 minutes so everyone can be out of the water by the time the storm hits, after that it's up to you...regarding the weather and if you should take cover or not. TAKE COVER, REALLY?


Swim - It was a good swim, not a great one but a good one. My only freak out was when I was about 200 yards from shore and the rain came and then the lightening. That'll make you pick up the pace. As I exited the water, more lightening, my swift exit turned into a slow walk so I could process what was happening and what I was going to do. Screw it, it's going to take a freakin tornado to get me to stop now, picked up the pace and ran to my bike. (40 people were pulled from the water due to weather/lightening, it was bad.)


T1 - I put wet socks on my feet, dumped the water out of my shoes and took off.


Bike - I am an idiot but I had fun out there. It was pouring rain and lightening at times but I'm on carbon fiber, what the hell, go get one of the steel or ti guys! I just kept plowing along and at about mile 36-40 realized that no women had passed me. This IS promising. P.S. Thanks Ryan for making me ride in the rain sometimes. I took corners SUPER easy and just trucked on, rooster tail and all. That was the draft zone, if you can follow someone without getting sprayed, you're outside the drafting zone!


T2 - Racked the bike, hey, there's only one other bike on this rack besides mine, what a feeling. THIS is as close to first place as I'll ever get and it felt great. I dumped out the running shoes that were filled with water, threw on my race number, visor, rolled out.



Run - Still soaking wet. Yeah, what I've been working on. All I could tell myself was sustain, only start and go with a pace that you can sustain, sustain, sustain. Even though all my shit was wet, the run started and I felt pretty good. I watched my splits and was hitting 9:15ish average (great for me). I thought, I can hold this. THEN, the bottom dropped out and the sun came. My hopes and dreams of a 5:30 race were slipping before my very eyes. And then, I did the unthinkable at about mile 11, I walked, death blow. A mistake I will never make again, once the door is open, walking becomes much easier. So, I 'saved' any bit of energy I had left for the last mile. The finish line is uphill and I didn't want to have to walk that. I gave the cursory flash over my shoulder to see if there were any women behind me and finished it off in 5:39. This is a PR for me by a long shot (previous was 5:54). The course was great and suited me just fine, less the blazing sun at the end.

After a nice ice 'bath' I felt almost human again UNTIL the unthinkable happened...I had to pee...I knew I was chafed but this was nothing like I have ever felt in my whole entire life. I DID break my cooter bone this time. WOW, suffice it to say, I have two smiley faces on my undercarriage that are slowly healing. Ouchy. I need to use that thing again for crying out loud.

I can't figure out how to flip this around...but you get the idea...

1 comment:

Ryan said...

YOu are right on about the walking once justifies it all the time. Just don't do it.

HA!

Your video reminds me of my single Navy days in foreign ports. I come walking back to the ship saying" Ow, my pee pee hurts!"

What's that? Oh, yours hurts for a different reason?

Ahhh, the good ole' days.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!