Sunday, June 8, 2008

Lost toenails, bikini waxes and bicyle hangovers




At Gulf Coast, there was some toenail damage to my second toe on my right foot. What really pushed it over the edge was the all day drink on Sunday, when I proceeded to slam a door into that already damaged toenail. It bled and it hurt but I didn't care, at the time. At that time, I didn't care about much. I was in happy land. Over time, and more running, the toenail got uglier. How does a chick fix blackened, yellowed, damaged toenails...duh, you paint them a dark enough color to cover them up. Over the last week, said nail got looser and looser. It was then I realized it was only hanging on by about 1/4" of skin - I could flip it up like a bad come-over. This, for some reason, totally freaked me out but I knew the nail had to come of by choice rather than get ripped off running, or something. I obsessed about my nail for days, I can't even watch the Lamisil commercial where a cartoon guy crawls under a persons nail, it freaks me out. Then, a very wise friend said to me, YOU are willing to go get your bikini line waxed, where a woman places hot wax 'down there' and then proceeds to rip it from the root but you are afraid of a little toenail? Just pull it off or clip it and stop talking about it. So, I did it, I took it off before Mach Tenn on Saturday...knowing it would fly off in the water. I have painted my poor little nub with second skin, hoping that protects it somehow.

After my 'stellar' performance at Mach Tenn yesterday, I felt the need for a three hour bike ride today. We did start at 7:00 but already knew we were in for it and our route did NOT include any shade. Everything was fine and dandy until we hit the second hour. You could have pushed me over with a feather. There were four of us and at least two of us were cooked...we felt like we were cooking from the inside out and were saying lots of bad words. And then, the gates of heaven opened up, I saw the stadium lights (where we parked) and then our three cars. It was the kind of moment where angels sing. Get me off this !%#$ bike now please! Drove home, picked up a delicious pizza for me and Ryan and proceeded to promptly fall asleep (no nap and a party yesterday nite put an ass whoopin on me). One sprint tri, one five hour party last nite, one three hour ride + a one hour nap = a bike hang-over. I feel dehydrated like I drank 18 beers, with the headache to prove it. I stumbled down the steps came into the office and Ryan looked at me and said, you better lay down with Magnus. He's got a puppy hangover from the race yesterday too (he went with us to cheer me on and had to take multiple dips in the lake to stay cool enough to get by). So with a puppy hangover and a bike hangover we skip swim class and rest.

2 comments:

Lana said...

Congrats on your Mach Tenn race! And definitely for racing in only a swimsuit! Magnus is such a sweetie!

We took off at 7 a.m. this morning and got cooked as well. I even took the kids to the pool afterwards and found a seat under an umbrella to stay out of the sun - something I don't recall ever doing before.

Are you doing the Harpeth River ride?

Ryan said...

YEAH!!!

Nasty toenail (or lack thereof) pictures.

Mine on both feet have been since before Ironman last year. It must be a sign that you are doing it right.

IronMissy - it's official!

IronMissy - it's official!
A vision in green!